Water Drop

Highland Council Grant Available

Post in Utilities by Tina Hartley
Do you have a private water supply? If so, did you know you can get a grant from the Highland Council?

Risk assessed from "top to bottom"

When preparing the Garve & District Community Development Plan you told us that some guidance and support around private water supplies would be helpful. 

Are you aware that there is a grant available from the Highland Council of up to £800 per household for making improvements to private water supplies. The application process includes a £260 upfront payment which, if it is found that work is required to improve your water and you progress your application, you receive back.

The process allows for a full risk assessment of the system from “top to bottom” including taking samples to ensure water quality meets acceptable standards. If the whole of the system is found to be beyond redemption then the initial £260 payment cannot be refunded, in essence this is to pay for the risk assessment process and sampling of water.

If issues are found, you receive a full report and can then move forward with your application. However, if the water quality is found to be unsafe this issue must be addressed first prior to any other issues identified, e.g. tank problems.

The process asks that you pay for work initially and then reclaim the cost of up to £800. To deal with a water quality issue only, the cost of a UV Unit plus a plumber is likely to use the full grant. However, you will still have a full report that informs you of any other areas of concern that you may need to address.

If you feel this grant would be useful please contact: -

Simon Pearse

Highland Council

Technical Officer (Private Water Supplies)

Environmental Health

Tel 01349 868 475


Questions & Comments

Have an opinion on this topic? Leave a comment here. Here's what others have been saying...


pammy said:

Could we start a group to push for connection to mains scottish water?  Most of the properties at Lochluichart are owned by the estate who have successfully installed boreholes - there are still a few privately owned properties without a suitable water supply - are there any residents that would like to explore the mains connection option??  If so should we start a group?

Reply to this comment

Have your say...

(your answer proves you are a person)

Please note, comments are checked before appearing on the site.